The Department of Anaesthesiology took its roots way back in the year 1966 in J.N. Medical College, Belgaum, immediately after inception of the College with two staff members. PG courses started – Diploma in Anaesthesiology (DA)-1978 & MD-1988. KLES Hospital was established in the year 1986 with bed strength 300 & KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Charitable Hospital in 1996 with a capacity of 1000 beds. KLE Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital & MRC was commissioned in the year 2004. It has bed strength of 920. KLE University (formerl KLE Academy of Higher Education and & Research) started in the year 2006.
- To strive to be an outstanding Department of National and International repute.
- To achieve excellence in the specialized field of Anaesthesiology, Critical care medicine, Comprehensive Pain Management & Peri-operative Medicine.
- To impart ‘Value Based Education’.
- To create environment of social & spiritual development.
- To teach & train medical, paramedical & other personnel in BLS& ACLS.
- To train the Under Graduates in the Basics of Anaesthesia Care & Emergency Life Support System.
- To metamorphose a Basic Medical Doctor into a competent anaesthesiologist.
- To promote Research Methodology & scientific temperament for the advancement of science of anaesthesia.
- Enable students to inculcate analytical, practical & communication skills.
The Department excels in the specialized field of Anaesthesiology, Critical Care, Medicine & comprehensive pain management & imparts value based education to the students to create environment for their social & spiritual development. Our department conducts Continued Medical Educational programs Conference,CME,Workshop (BLS & ACLS) Academic activities to keep up with the changing trends in the field of Anaesthesiology. The department conducts Seminars, Journal Clubs, Case Discussions, Mortality & Morbidity meetings and didactic lectures regularly. We provide comprehensive anesthetic care to patients in Field of General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, ENT and Ophthalmology and specialty branches like Paediatric Surgery, Plastic surgery, Cardiothoracic surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, Infertility etc. Department runs regular Anaesthesia OPD (OT) cum Pain Clinic & Cath lab in the KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & Medical Research Centre, Belgaum. Besides we also render services to the ICU, ICCU, Emergency & Trauma Care, CT and MRI, Labour Analgesia, Impart training to medical & Paramedical & others in BLS & ACLS.
Our Staff members in addition to Clinical Service & Teaching are involved in research work, presentation of Papers / Posters in various international, national and state conferences and also published scientific articles in International, National, State & Regional Journals. The PG students are encouraged to attend Conferences, CME programs and to present scientific papers. We enable students to inculcate analytical, practical & communication skills, depute faculty for updating their knowledge and research skill and facilitate achieving the institutional goal and producing a physician of first contact having the basic knowledge of anesthesiology and skills to teach and practice CPR. The department imparts Hands on Training on Basic Life support & Advanced Cardiac Life Support to all the medical, paramedical & also lay public round the year. Our department has a well maintained Museum and Library in addition to central library. Our library is having all modern books & indexed journals in addition of its first kind unique digital library. The department has an access to computerized bibliographic data base med line & computerized digital library.