The Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College was started in the year 1964. Undergraduate courses in Radiology were started in 1967, consisting primarily of 4 weeks of clinical postings, followed by internal assessments. The main objective of this course is to train the medical students in basic principles of Radio-diagnosis and about various imaging modalities.
The department of Radio-Diagnosis provides academic training to the undergraduate and postgraduate students at K.L.E.S. Dr.Prabhakar Kore Hospital & Medical Research Center Belgaum, which is attached to the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum.
The postgraduate courses offering both Master degree (M.D.) and Diploma in Radio-diagnosis (D.M.R.D.) were started in the year 1993, and 1994 consisting of three and two years residency programmes respectively.
Presently the department is catering to 15 seats in Masters Degree (M.D)
Main objectives of this course are-
1) Modeling the postgraduates into proficient and conscientious radiologists.
2) To train them in to professionals and help them master most of the competencies pertaining to Radiology that are required to be practiced at secondary and tertiary health care delivery systems.
3) To train them in to Professionals,
- who carry out their obligations ethically and according to the objectives of the national health policy.
- who are aware of routine and emergency radiology techniques along with the latest advances, developments in the field of Radiology and have acquired a spirit of Scientific inquiry.
- who have developed skills in basic concepts of research methodology and epidemiology.
- who have acquired basic skills and knowledge required for teaching medical and paramedical professionals.
- who have empathy and humane approach towards patients and their families and demonstrate inter personal behaviors in accordance with societal norms and expectations.
The Radiology department consists of experienced faculty members who are experts in different modalities of imaging and manage the departmental activities.
This department is well equipped with ultramodern diagnostic facilities like,
1) 3.0 Tesla Siemens MRI Machine Magnetom Spectra.
2) 128 slice CT Scan (Revolution EVO Wipro GE).
5) DR- Digital Radiography System : Konica 21417HQ
6) Mammography :- Siemens Mammomat Nova 3000
7) “DEXA” GE Lunar bone densitometry(BMD).
9) PACS Med synaptic
10) Image Guided Non Vascular Interventions.
11) Image guided Neurovascular & Peripheral Vascular Interventions.
12) Siemens biograph Truepoint PET CT.
The academic activities of the department which include workshops, C.M.E.s, guest lectures and Symposiums keep Medical faculty and students upto-date with changing trends and newer techniques available in the field of Radio diagnosis. M.C.I. norms are followed for academic activities.