As preclinical subject, Biochemistry department in J.N.Medical College was established in 1964 at Lingaraj College premises affiliated to Karnataka University Dharwad. Separate department came into existence in 1966 as per Medical Council of India norms. Full time laboratory services were extended to District Hospital Belgaum from 1966 to 2004. Department is affiliated to KLE Academy of Higher Education & Research, J N Medical College, Belgaum.
- BDS Course Started in 1986.
- Physiotherapy and Nursing Courses Started in 1994 and 1996 respectively.
- M.D. Biochemistry Course Started in 1998.
- With Affiliation to RGUHS Banagalore, in 1998, in addition to existing courses B.Sc.Allied Health Science Courses were started.
- P.hd ( Medical Biochemistry ) Program Started from 2000.
- The Department is recognized by MCI both for Under Graduation( MBBS ) and Post Graduation (M.D. Biochemistry)
The Department Heads since Inception