Dr. (Mrs) N. S. Mahantashetti, MD (Paed.),
K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education & Research (Deemed-to-be-University)
J N Medical College, Belagavi
Dr. (Mrs) Niranjana S Mahantashetti, born in Baroda in 1958, is the proud alumnus of this prestigious K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education & Research (Deemed-to-be-University), J N Medical College, Belgaum. She was honored with the Gold Medal in Medicine and Obst. & Gynecology at Final year MBBS – Karnataka University, Dharwad for being the highest scorer. She joined as a Lecturer in Department of Pediatrics on 1st July 1988.
|Sl. No||Name of course||Year of Passing||University|
|1.||MBBS||1982||Karnataka University, Dharwad|
|2.||MD (Pediatrics)||1987||Karnataka University, Dharwad|
|3.||Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology||University of Illinois, Chicago, USA|
|1||Lecturer||1st July, 1988 to 30th April, 1992|
|2||Assistant Professor||1st May 1992 to 31st December, 1996|
|3||Associate Professor||1st January 1997 to 31st August, 2003|
|4||Professor||1st September 2003 to 31st October, 2004|
|5||Professor & Head||1st November, 2004 to 31st January, 2010|
|Professor||1st February, 2010 to Till Date|
In recognition of her administrative capabilities she has been elevated to the post of Vice Principal in 2006 and from 8th September 2014 as a Principal.
- Her passion has always been Social Pediatrics.
- She has been involved in various International Research Projects viz., Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Research Unit, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, Washington, DC;
- Country Co-ordinator
- Antenatal Corticosteroids Trial in Preterm Births to Increase Neonatal Survival in Developing Countries (ACT)
- Asst. Country Co-ordinator
- Emergency Obstetrics and Newborn Care – Evaluation of an EmONC Intervention package to reduce adverse Pregnancy outcomes in Low resource settings.
- NIH Research collaboration Community Based Training and intervention in Neonatal Resuscitation - FIRST BREATH
- Brain Research to Ameliorate Impaired Neurodevelopment: Home based Intervention Trial BRAIN HIT
- Evaluation of Helping Babies Breathe
- Principle Investigator
- Comparison of two Iron Doses on Zinc Absorption from Sprinkles as Micronutrients Supplements
- Absorption of Zn and Iron from Bio-fortified Pearl Millet
- Country Co-ordinator
- She has more than 25 Publications (8 International level, 17 National, State & Regional level).
- She has been Resource Person for various Conferences / Workshops / CMEs
- Awarded “Teachers of Teacher” Award on 5th September 2014 by KLE University, Belgaum
- Awarded “Best Teacher Award by J N Medical College, Belgaum in the year 2004
- Awarded “Best Teacher Award by J N Medical College, Belgaum in the year 2003
Awards from Academic Associations
- Best District Branch (Belgaum District branch) by IAP Karnataka State Chapter as President IAP Belgaum District Branch in the year 2003
- Best District Branch award for World Breastfeeding week celebration for the year 2004 as President BPNI Belgaum District Branch period for creating awareness on optimal feeding practices in about 30 remote villages of Belgaum District.
Position held in Academic Association
- President, Indian Academy of Pediatrics Karnataka State Chapter 2012- 2013
- President, Indian Academy of Pediatrics Belgaum District Branch 2002 – 2003
- Secretary, Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Karnataka State Chapter 1997 - 98
- Secretary IAP Belgaum District Branch for 2 terms
- President Breast feeding promotion Network of India, Belgaum District Branch from 2004 till date
- State Academic Coordinator, IAP NRP FGM Project 2010 – 11
- Organizing Chairperson for NEOCON-2006 State Neonatal Conference held at our institution.
- Organizing Chairperson for PEDICRITICON-2007 State Pediatric Critical Care Conference - 2007
- Organizing Chairperson for J N M C Scientific Society Annual Meet in the year 2004
- Organizing Chairperson for ADOLESCON – 2009, 9th Annual Conference of Adolescent Chapter of National IAP.
- Organising Chairperson – SOUTH PEDICON 2013: XXVII South Zone & XXXII Karnataka State Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics held on 18th – 20th October, 2013
- Org. Chairperson, Suvarna JNMC 2012 – 2013
She has been an active Life Members of various academic associations
- Life Member Indian Academy of Pediatrics
- Life Member Indian Academy of Pediatrics Karnataka State Chapter
- Life Member Breast Feeding Promotion Net-work of India
- Life Member Indian Academy of Pediatrics Pulmonology chapter
- Life Member Pediatrics Cardiology Society of India
- Life Member Deccan Society of Pediatricians
- Member of Indian Academy of Pediatrics Belgaum District Branch
- Life Member of KLE Society, Belgaum
- Life Member, Indian Public Health Association
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Adolescent Chapter
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Infant & Young Child Feeding
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Pediatrics – Infectious Diseases Chapter
- Life Member, National Neonatology Forum
Areas of Interest :
- Infant Nutrition
- Kangaroo Mother Care & Care of Low Birth Weight Babies
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Adolescent Pediatrics
In recognition of her service to the college, KLE Society has honored her by appointing as Life Member of KLE Society.
She believes in “Services to Humanity is the key to Success”