The Department of Paediatric surgery was started in 1994. Dr. Vijay C. Pujar was the first Professor & Head of the Department and under his guidance the department continued to grow. Dr. Santosh B. Kurbet then took over as Head of Department from 01/10/2014 to date.
In KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital & MRC is a well established & equipped outpatient clinic supported by comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, which include progressive care wards, hi-tech operation theatres, etc.
We are having our separate OPD, 15 bedded Paediatric surgical general ward, 33 bedded NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit, 5 ventilator beds) shared with neonatology, 14 bedded PICU (Paeditric intensive care unit), 10 beds on free side shared with paediatrics and separate Hi tech OT for Paediatric surgical cases. The department is also giving free service for various government schemes.
Pediatric surgery is a subspecialty of surgery involving the surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. Subspecialties of pediatric surgery itself include: neonatal surgery, minimally invasive surgery (Laparoscopy and Thoracoscopy) and fetal surgery.
The following surgeries are being performed in Paediatric surgery
- Congenital malformations: lymphangioma, esophageal atresiaand tracheo esophageal fistula, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, intestinal atresia, necrotizing enterocolitis, Hirschsprung’s disease, imperforate anus, undescended testes, intestinal malrotation, etc
- Abdominal walldefects: omphalocele, gastroschisis, exstrophy bladder, hernias
- chest Conditions : CDH, CCAM, Lung cysts, Bronchopulmonary sequestrations, etc
- Childhood tumors: like Neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumor, rhabdomyosarcoma,
- Emergencies: Intussusception, hernia, GIT, rectal prolapse, acute appendicitis